Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sending the wrong message....

Again, I'll probably get a lot of shit for this rant but I can't help it...

Some 18 year kid (I say kid lightly, he's actually a man) in the Bronx got caught spray painting on a road sign. Then ran from the cops and got hurt. He says the cops punched him and caused permanent damage and is now suing.

So let me get this straight. The kid claims he didn't fight the cops that the cop punched him for no reason. He couldn't even look the newscaster in the face when he was telling his story. Now this kid get to be rich for fighting the cops who were trying to arrest him for doing something wrong. He's 18!! What the fuck was he doing spray painting on a road sign?!?! If he wasn't doing something wrong he wouldn't have been hurt. Then to top it off guess who gets to pay not only to clean the road sign he defaced but to pay for his settlement with the city?? Us taxpayers who have to put up with these shitty kids that have no respect for anything around them have to pay for it!!

What kind of message is this sending to kids? In my eyes it says to do something wrong, fight the cops, get hurt, sue and not have to work for a living!!

3 comments:

TheMacMommy said...

This is precisely why I want to be at home with my son as he grows up. I don't want him to become one of these kids. You just want to choke them, but it's unfortunate that that could be the very reason why they do stupid shit like that.

loonyhiker said...

As a teacher, I saw a lot of this in the classroom. The kids learn it from the parents. When I had to take a cell phone away from a student because he was using it in the hallways (which is against school policy and they sign this policy the first day saying they have gotten a copy and have had it read to them, they read it, and the administration read it over the TV). The student gets belligerant and aggressive so the administrator is called. This student is suspended for this behavior and the parent gets mad at me! The parent says it was all my fault because I was picking on the boy. Go figure!

spellwight said...

As a parent of a child that did stupid and slightly illegal crap in his youth, I totally agree with you. I'm one of the few parents I know that expected my kids to be responsible for their own actions. And I stood next to him in support every time he went to court over one stupid thing or another, and managed to be there to pick him up from jail every time they let him out. That's what parents are supposed to do.